Friday, November 28, 2008

Chapter 4

" Terrence? is that you? "

I stop and take a few steps back to the first door. " No dad, it's just me, Belle." I answer, as I step into the room. Dad is there, with the remote for the television, magazines. "Hi, dad. How are you now? Lucille went back early today? " I ask, taking a chair nearby and place it near his bed.

" An hour ago and my Belle, you know. Same Just lying down here as usual... on the deathbed."
"Dad" I sigh.
"What? I was joking."
"Ha-ha-ha. Not funny."
"At least you are laughing."
"That is not even a laugh. It is a thing call sarcasm."
"Really? C'mmon, can't give an old man a break? I thought we are not being serious here. Flexible, Belle." He sways his hands in a waverly manner.

I smile. Dad has a way with things like calming down on nerves. Whenever he cracks up a joke; lame or not, it always turns funny in the end. Bring him up to the city and place him with a group of unknown people with anxieties and nervy-B. In matter of minutes, the group will be warming up with heads tilting back and laughing with his funny acts and get comfortable with his friendly and warm face.

"Yeah, well, this is not funny. Had your lunch yet, dad?"
"Yep. Ordinary fish chips and tomato sauce with corn." makes up a smirk from his wrinkled face and tongue coming out.
"Oh, it can't be that bad, can it?"
"Can't be that bad? The fish chips got even bones it. Twice."
"Oh, isn't there something else for Lucille to cook?"
"Tried telling her that but she said there isn't anything left but fish and coincidentally, potatoes."
"That is a total utter rubbish. Bonkers! How could she say that? She should know that the bloody fridge has all the food ther..."
"Now now watch that tone young lady. Don't go all sailor mouth here," Dad points his finger on me, "and since when you learn to talk like a Briton?"

"I... uh..." I stutter. Wow. Even I didn't know what came to me to talk like that. I blah, just like that and suddenly I can talk like Keira Knightley in Bend It Like Beckham when she argues with her bestfriend, Sonya.

Sweet.

"Never mind bout that" Dad waves his hands dismissively. It just a silly matter. I gave her a list of groceries she has to get by tomorrow. There'll be something new in the menu tomorrow," he smiles, trying to assure me. See? He really has a way of things like these. "So Belle,how was your day?" He asks as he tries to position himself comfortably in an old king-size bed of his.

See, that brown bed covered with soft cotton printed in blue flowe-patterned bedsheets existed since the day mom and dad got married. The bed has been there through their ups and downs. The bed has been there since mom hugged dad and congratulate him on his first success on his article that was published in The Daily. The bed has been there since mom's excitement finding her lost pair of emerald earring that was nowhere to be found for months. Also, embarrassing to say, the bed has been there since Terence and I were made... and born (eeeew, I know). The bed has been there since Terence was a kid and jumping around and playing while mom lied there with me in her womb. The bed has been there since Terence and I surprised dad in the morning with a tray of overcooked waffles and burnt toast, a cup of coffee with a birthday card saying "Happie Birfdei" on his birthday.The bed has been there since me and Terence accidentally broke the vase on mom's make-up table and dad caught us trying to glue them pieces back. The bed has been there since mom cried receiving an examination letter from the hospital conforming she got a tumour in her head. The bed has been there since dad hugged mom while together they curled into a ball and cried together. The bed has been there since mom lied there weakly and dad rushed in and out of the room giving her needs and taking orders. The bed has been there since dad held mom hands tightly and being there by her side on the day she let out her last breath.

The bed has been through all the ups and downs of dad's lives. I don't question why he does not want to get of rid of the old thing.

"It was fine. Just dreamt alot." I sigh. I turn on the television and Ugly Betty is on. Dad groan in annoyance and I grin in happiness that I am able to catch up with the episode where Betty tried to stand against Amanda and her gay friend.

No comments: